Do you like surveys? I love them, especially for topics I could scream about without trouble, like books. They give us chances to reflect on books and other items experienced throughout the year. I stumbled upon one created by Jamie via Books and LaLa, whom I adore (She doesn’t know, though). Jamie provides a link, if you want to participate and show her some love, okay?
Note: The survey is for books you read throughout the year, no matter when they were published, and is not limited to just books that came out in 2017!!
Number Of Books You Read: 152
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: Adult/Realistic Fiction
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
The Hate U Give deserves all the given accolades. It’s honest, raw (enough for an YA), and even joyous and heartfelt in its serene moments.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
When Dimple Met Rishi. I’m a girly girl. Coding’s not my thing, and while I wanted to connect to Dimple, I found myself shrugging throughout the story. But, I’m glad the representation’s there in the book world.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
The Diviners. As noted throughout my blog, I’m not a big series reader. I prefer standalones (I’m not big on story commitment). However, I started this series (I plan to finish in 2018) and I’m glad I’ve given another series a chance to thrive in my library. It’s lush, well-researched, and contains characters for which I root with glee. Cop it!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Mia McKenzie. Angie Thomas. Brit Bennet. Zinzi Clemmons. Tiffany Jackson. Jardine Libaire. Lilliam Rivera. Meg Medina. Women with voices, often marginalized, but nonetheless soulful and riveting.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I have a lot of books to read in 2018. I doubt I’ll reread them soon.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Janie Mae Crawford. She lives as she pleases. Free and full of spirit.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
For years, I avoided Toni Morrison books. She intimidated me with her intense stories that I knew went beyond fiction and into reality. But, I broke my pride and read her twice…gladly.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“Like any artist without an art form, she became dangerous.”
― Toni Morrison,
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I thought I was getting an Elizabeth Taylor deal. However, what happens in this tale, offers depth and complexity its blurb omits.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Read the above book and you’ll understand.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Sula from Toni Morrison’s eponymous novel. Dangerous choice, really.
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
Since I gave The Hate U Give a lot of love, I decided to share that love with another debut worthy of a read. Devastatingly haunting, tragic, and beautiful all the same, this book deserves a turn of its pages.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Diviners. Libby Bray researched and it showed throughout the book (so far). I felt as if I time traveled back to the thirties, nylons, bobs, and all.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
Mine! I achieved a goal I wanted for a while. Isn’t it great? While I’m at the basement level, I seek to build each level until my blog’s reached it’s full potential.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, April 2017. I met two of my favorite authors Never Mind Me. I’m Just Fangirling. Along with meeting them, I snatched good books and listened to book conversations from authors and those in the business.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Creating my blog! I sat on the fence for a long time and I’m glad I jumped off.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Having the drive to create posts. Goodness! I strive for creative content, but where am I supposed to get the energy?
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I guess I should check. But, I don’t tend to keep up with those stats. If you love my work, I’m happy.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Diversity’s Important in Books…and Their Reviewers. It’s an important aspect in the publishing world. But, you can’t win them all, I guess.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Overdrive. My book budget thanks me everyday.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes. I set my Goodreads Challenge at 52 originally. Of course, I smashed it at 152 books.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
I can’t wait!
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Add video/audio to my blog of any reading/blogging adventures.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable): Not applicable.
I haven’t read any 2018 arcs!!!
A bit long, but satisfying! I read a lot and I’m glad to see my reflection on the works authors granted me. I cannot wait for what 2018 offers me in literature. I hope it’s as good as 2017.
Thanks Jamie for this opportunity! Happy New Year, Everyone!