February came and went. I noticed a major slowdown compared to January. In total, I read twelve books. Okay, yeah. To the average reader, that’s still a lot read. But, when you read about twenty books last month, you take notice. Even so, I imagine the months to come will continue to lessen as I take on a new project. More on that later as I find myself having to shelf one until I figure whether to finish or move on, which is okay.
Eleven books. Good deal. No problem. I found myself reading more print books this month than audiobooks (Just one!). I read one ebook, which is good, since I’m not particularly fond of them.
As one will notice that I read more books with black characters and/or by black authors because February is Black History Month. While I read diverse tales anyway each month, when this month comes, I tend to focus strongly on black stories.
Below are the books I read for February. You will find the following:
- An historical romance involving a person of color (A Hope Divided)
- A woman experiencing sexual addiction in Paris and how far she’s willing to go to feed her addiction (Adele)
- A retelling of Alice in Wonderland with a bit of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer (A Blade So Black)
- A boy’s obsession with a girl (Hunting Annabelle)
- A story about a former ballerina’s struggle with Anorexia (The Girls at 17 Swann Street)
- A family drama about three sisters and how family secrets and past strife shape them and their nieces (The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls)
- A biography about one of the first black prima ballerinas (Brave Ballerina)
- Young girls finding their voice amid sexism and feminism (Watch Us Rise)
- Comic books featuring kick-ass women and girls (Shuri; Betty Page)
- A dazzling sophomore effort by Angie Thomas (On the Come Up)
I thoroughly enjoyed these books. Perhaps, they can make your TBR list one day. Many of these authors could use your support as I found they didn’t rely too much on cliches and overdone plots.
- Hunting Annabelle ★★
- A Hope Divided ★★★★ (Favorite!)
- Adele ★★★
- The Girls at 17 Swann Street ★★★
- The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls (Favorite!) ★★★★
- Watch Us Rise ★★★★
- On the Come Up ★★★★★ (Favorite!)
- A Blade So Black ★★★★ (Favorite!)
- Brave Ballerina ★★★★★
- Shuri ★★★★★
- Betty Page #1 Vol. 2 ★★
- Betty Page Halloween Special ★★★
As with each month, I await books I’ve planned and those that surprise me. You never know what you’ll find in the stacks. What did you read in February? Feel free to share below in the comment section.